Thursday, August 18, 2011

What The Hell Have I Been Doing: War of the Elements



Hey everyone. Todays update is a little off topic, nothing film related, but it's interesting all the same. I thought I'd bring to light another project I've been working on aside from my ventures in the visual realm.

I've been writing a fantasy series for the last couple of years now entitled War of the Elements, and have currently laid out an outline that spans three novels with plenty of room to expand and explore within the fantasy universe. This has been a passion project for me and is extremely personal, in that I've put a lot of myself into the writing of it and a lot of years developing the intricate aspects of its inner workings.

Inspired by the works of J. R. R. Tolkien and the great depth of detail that he went into in creating his world, I've spent a great deal of time establishing the book's geographical breadth and historical significance within the context of this made-up realm, in order to give it some validity, well at least in my own mind.

The creation of the world in the book has been a huge undertaking, comprised of establishing characters, cultures, races, creatures, countries, and everything in between and their relationships to each other. I've even went as far as to outline the prehistory of the story, going back generations and generations among some of the key players of the story, in order to better flesh out what is going on within the world.

In my writing style, I've tried to approach the story-line and flow of the narrative to that of a theatrical film, often visualizing scenes and sequences as if story-boarding for a filmed project. In short, my main focus was to create something that could be easily imagined in a cinematic viewpoint by combining my sensibility for film and the flow of the visual medium with the progression of the written word.

The approach has been inspiring in quenching my thirst for film while at the same time putting reigns, so to speak, on my imagination and giving it a specific goal and objective. So far the world within the story is growing to a size that simply boggles my mind, forcing me to keep an ever expanding glossary of terms, names, and geographical locales in order to keep a tally on everything I've created.

I've most recently finished the map for the continent that the novel takes place in and it's pretty much complete. It's gone through various stages of development and I still need to iron out a few things here and there, but for the most part it's good to go. I figured I'd do a quick write up, briefing you on the existence of my novel, and then let you guys check out the map. It took me a while, but I finally reached the point where I'm really digging the finished product.

Well, here it is for your enjoyment and curiosity. If anyone wants to know more about the novel, feel free to ask me anything. I'm always open to discussing the fantasy world that I'll hopefully be able to unleash unto the real world someday. Thanks for checking out the map and enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment